Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Blog . . What Blog? Oh yeah!

It's Monday here in good old UB and I have a confession to make.  I am probably the worst start up blogger in history.  Laura and I were talking last night and she mentioned her blog entry, which set off a series of thoughts in my mind as to when I posted my drafts I had recently done.  RECENTLY MY EYE!! They are almost two weeks old you goon!!  So after chewing myself out a while I said, "Okay, Monday I'll give some lame excuse then polish and publish my posts that I should have had out last week minimum."

On that note, being a fair student of the Mongolian language, I want to let you in on a humorous bit my Mongol friends enjoy.  I got the words from the Lonely Planet travel guide's glossary a few years back and and adapted it to a shtick I do here when Mongols are feeling out my Mongolian.  I tell them five words can give ANY traveler a basic Mongolian conversation.  They look at me like I'm out of my mind, then I say, "the words are: Chadaxgui (can't do it); Baixgui (don't have it); Margaash (tomorrow); and Magadgui (maybe) and Za 
(yeah, whatever)."  Now you can translate a conversation that goes something like this:

(Enter the restaurant, store or other business and begin your order)

Me: I'd like to buy a __.
Attendant: Chadaxgui
Me: Why not?
Attendant: Baixgui
Me: When will you have it?
Attendant: Margaash
Me: So if I come back can I get it tomorrow?
Attendant: Magadgui.
Me: So . . guess I'll come back tomorrow.
Attendant: Za.  (and goes back to watching the television)

I've done that bit for dozens of Mongolian friends and they absolutely crack up.  The reason why is they live it every day.  Seriously.  Not funny to you?  Guess you had to be there.

1 comment:

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

Was wondering what happened to ya Tony, lol. Thought maybe you were just busy, things get busy after all!

Looking forward to more from you!

Jessica