Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bucket O' Guts

When I was a kid I remember my dad having a conversation with his boss, Bud Graves.  (aside: I credit Bud with the first rabbit I killed.  Funny story I might reminisce about later for my anti gun readers ;-)  Anyway, Bud was talking about some of the folk remedies people had when he was a kid. Oak bark tea was particularly unpleasant, but highly prescribed by Dr. Moms in Washington County before all the modern bottled medicine arrived.

On a similar vein, I recently spent a couple weeks with some guys in the north country of Mongolia, and for the second time enjoyed the medicinal delicacy I have named the "Bucket O' Guts."  Basically Dr. Moms here say each of the innards has a corresponding healthful benefit to our body (i.e. eating lung is good for the lungs, eating heart is good for the heart, etc).  Since I had contracted some kind of amoeba from bad milk product (i.e. had the squirts) I was advised to eat stomach and intestine to get better.

For the squeamish stop here . . . . 

I warned you . . . .

Stomach, tastes a bit like an inner tube soaked in fermented grass.  You really gotta work to get it down.  Intestine (both large and small) are filled with blood which coagulates when boiled, a bit like sausage if you really use your imagination.  If you like the taste when someone punches you in the mouth you would probably love it.  Being the good patient I sampled every organ (liver and kidney were particularly nice) then drank a cup o' gut juice.  Call me crazy, but that stuff was EXCELLENT.  A bit like hot broth on crack and steroids.

Effect?  Not sure if it was the Imodium or the Bucket O' Guts, but I didn't run to the crapper the rest of the day.

My writing not not good enough for you?  Okay sicko, here's your pic.


4 comments:

Denise said...

I've been anxiously awaiting your next blog, but -- yuck!

Love you all!

Mongapore said...

Chum, Yum!

jandcwed said...

Yeah...I've seen some stuff in my travels around the world...including the time I spent in China..but that is about the worst thing. You are such a brave man!!! ha ha
Christi (Snow) Schrauger

Zolo said...

Hey, there! this is Zolo and Jargal egch. we don't have your email addres so we coudn't write you. how are you there? when are you coming?
if you want u can email me zolomongolia@yahoo.com